Saturday, February 14, 2009

13 year old Dad???

I don't know if anybody has heard of this, but I was reading the Drudge Report and there was a story about a 13 year old boy. The story was broken in Britain's tabloid paper The Sun. First of all I couldn't imagine having a baby at 20 let alone 13. The reporter asked the "Dad" what he was going to do to support the baby financially and he didn't know what financially meant. So the reporter had to dumb it down and just pose the question, what are you going to do for money? The boy said his parents will help him out and he is going to stay in school, which I think he was in about 7th grade, in order to get a better paying job. This is absolutely ridiculous. They are only 13 years apart, they could be in they same boy scout troop together. When he is a senior in High school, he will have to go to Parent-Teacher conferences when he is done studying for his SAT's.

I wonder what the Grandparents were thinking when they found out their little boy was going to be a daddy. In our high school we had a sexual education class my freshman year, do they need to have a sex ed program that now starts in elementary school? Maybe right after learning how to spell Elephant they can learn about the birds and the bees. When I was 13 I was watching Sponge Bob and riding my bike everywhere I went. Plus I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16.

Now a 13 year old boy cant make a baby by him self, the mom is at the tender age of 15. Everybody wants to grow up so fast, well this time they did it. They pulled out all of the stops in their quest to be adults.

This is created quite a stir across Europe and has gotten quite a bit of air time in the US. Finally we don't have to hear about "Octomom." The real tragedy here is the new born baby. She didn't ask to be born to such young parents. She probably wont have a "normal" childhood. It is a sad, sad situation.

5 comments:

Steve at Random said...

I knew a 30-something student when I attended the University of Montana who was also fathered a child when he was 13. He told me that his babysitter actually seduced him. The baby was given up to adoption, but I think the man was scarred by the experience. There are a number of these "wierd" stories that appear from time to time. One that I'm afraid occurs more often than is often reported in our neck of the woods is incest -- it often occurs in families that are isolated both geographically and socially from others. This is another event that often has long lasting scars on families. Like I've said from time to time, there's nothing wrong with being average. The adage seems to fit here as well.

Jake Thomas said...

I saw the same story on Drudge. What's so shocking about it all is that the kid does not even look close to 13yrs old...he looks eight!! The baby should have been given up for adoption, no questions about it.

Beagle said...

I have always thought that there needs to be an application process in order to have children. If you have to pass a test to drive then you should at least be able to pass a test in which it determines the parents can take care of another living being. The prospective "parents" could be given a goldfish, in order to learn the basics of care. They could then advance to a dog/cat. After they proved they were capable, then they could try their hand at children.

randymeiss said...

Hey DVD, Brianna just started geometry in her pre-algebra class. Care to come over some time and show her how its done?

Steve at Random said...

Hey DVD...somebody badmouthed you on Randy Meissner's blog about change...check it out and then update your blog. For crying out loud, nothing new since Valentines Day. Are your fingers broke?