Sunday, January 4, 2009

1st Down and three strikes and you're out

As a sports fan January should be a great time of the year. Football playoffs are just heating up, Basketball season is in full swing and College football is about to play for their national championship. However, my Chicago Bears didn't make the playoffs this year also the Vikings lost already so I can't spent my days rooting against them. I keep a loose eye on the Chicago Bulls, but ever since MJ retired, came back won three more championships and than retired again I have not been a big basketball fan, and the last time I checked the Minot State University Beaver's were not playing for the National Championship.

After the Super Bowl there is a void in my life that I commonly refer to as the black hole. It seems I just float for two months between end football season and the beginning of baseball season. I have been dating my girlfriend for a little over four months now and ever since we have been dating I would come over to her dorm and turn on the TV to ESPN to catch up on what I have missed.

She too knows about "the black hole" and can't wait until I actually pay attention to her. I have tried to include her in my sports addiction, but she says she can't stand football. Than she turns off the TV and than we proceed to watch High School Musical 3.

Each year, my kryptonite comes and I actually have time to do things like: go to a movie, play cards, see old friends, buy my mom/girlfriend flowers, take Nibby for a walk, and if all of those things are done... study.

To all of my fellow sport fan enjoy this time of year in a couple of months if you say hi to my on the street I will probably not say hi, as I will be floating along until pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

7 comments:

randymeiss said...

As I live and breathe. 4 whole blogs total in 2008 and now you've got 2 so far for January. You're starting off to great start DVD. Keep it up!

Steve at Random said...

I, too, hate the time from Super Bowl to the opening day of baseball. Maybe it's a time when I concentrate on using the exercse bike in the basement or doing real sports instead of just watching. However, I know that February -- while numerically is the shortest month of the year -- feels a lot longer because there is no football and no baseball. Maybe I should spend some time looking at whatever Belinda watches, but it seems like a waste of time because once April comes around, I won't have any time for anything but baseballl again. Go Yankees!

Ar Vee said...

Gentlemen,didn't you see the game in Chicago the other day between the Blackhawks and Redwings.What excitement!You guys live in "Hockey Paradise" in North Dakota.Get out of the house and see some live games.It's a sport you take part in.Take your eye off the puck for a moment and you may become a statistic.That thought alone gets my heart rate up.I think once you become a fan of the local team you can appreciate the skill of the Pro's.The adrenaline rush of the occasional fist fight also adds zest to the evening.Girls like it ,too!If we had Your nice hockey rinks,I would travel all over North Dakota to watch games.It's really not that hard to understand hockey rules and somtimes your better off if you don't.As with all pro's,I am always amazed at the handfull of men picked from all those who play.As for me,I try not to walk on the ice on the sidewalk for fear of falling.I can't imagine being bumped by someone and keeping my feet under me.If you approach the game with that in mind it takes on a new perspective.Steve can have the Sharks,Cubby you take The Blackhawks,and TTocs the Penguins.Now boys get those quarters out!!and be happy.

randymeiss said...

Thank you ArVee (humbly bows)! EsVee and DVD quit whining about the lack of baseball and football. It's high time you watched a REAL sport like hockey! I for one am pleased I'm no longer distracted by the Major leagues and Nascar and can devote my attention to the coolest game on Earth. If you don't have a team I recomend Colorado or Minnesota.

Steve at Random said...

DVD - Sounds like we got in the middle of a power play or a hat trick. A few thousand years ago, I went to a movie called the Mighty Ducks or something. It was probably there that I decided that baseball and football were American sports. Hockey is for the Canucks. However, Ar Vee has something regarding those quarters. How about a man's game like "Go Fish."

Beagle said...

First of all- DVD you are a true romantic. Your statement of going to your girlfriends and watching sports center is priceless. She is soooooo lucky! As for sports I could live without it and not be heartbroken. Hockey is exciting- now that I know what is supposed to happen. After attempting to break my arm/neck/etc while skating on the ice with my new skates, I have a deeper appreciation for anyone that can propel themselves forward/backwards, hold a stick, and aim for a little black piece of plastic without falling down.

Ar Vee said...

While you're fishing we can put some boots on the ice for goals and play hockey.I get Pat!! )))(((
( + + )
--------oOOo---(_)---oOOo--------