Thursday, January 15, 2009

Longest week of my life!

This semester at Minot State University will undoubtedly be the biggest test I will face as a college student. Last semester, I was enrolled in my first, and probably last law course. Communication Law might have been a valuable piece to my overall Broadcasting education, but when the teacher walked in to class on the first day she said, "This is the hardest class in the Broadcast department." That statement was the highlight of that class. Any who I survived it and I now realize that Comm. Law was a piece of cake (chocolate) compared to what lies a head. Math 103.

There is no secret that I am a complete bone head at Math. God just wanted me to carry a calculator wherever I go. I had to take Math 102 spring semester of 2008 and worked my butt off to get a 'C'. I have put off this class as long as I could believing that MSU will change their math requirement to graduate, but alas that has not come to fruition. I am taking the class with my girlfriend and another RA. Also I have my best friend up here, who is a Computer Science major tutor me in exchange for a streak dinner at the end of the year. It seems like I have a whole team of people who are supporting me and helping me along the journey.

I didn't sleep very well Monday night.. or Tuesday night or that matter. I was not looking forward to getting up Tuesday morning trudging across campus for my 8:00 am class. I kept tossing and turning, talking to my self, wondering how I will pass this class. Than I thought two things to my self that calmed me down and finally let me get some much needed rest.

First, take it one day at a time. Don't think about everything I have to do this semester and try and keep a positive attitude when trying to better my self.
Second, I am in my nice warm bed in my 71 degree room, in Minot, North Dakota. I could be in an even worse situation. I could be fighting a war half-way around the world. Separated from my family, friends and everything that I have known for the past 20 years of my life.

So, do I really have it that bad? No. Will I succeed? Please.. I am DVD! Just kidding, yes, with lots of hard work and focus I will pass with flying colors. Also I believe with prayer comes added strength.

This week has been dragging on but I could be working out side in -40 degree weather.

8 comments:

randymeiss said...

Well said, DVD! It's interesting how our minds seem to have more aptitude for certain subjects over others. I loved math because it was one of the few classes I just got. I didn't have to work for it. Compared to biology where I barely passed, or history and geography where it was all I could do to stay awake. Then I went through 3 semesters of calculus and math wasn't so fun any more. I felt like my head had been squeezed through a juice machine.

I'll be pulling for you DVD! Make use of friends and tutors as much as possible. I would not have got through college if it weren't for "smarter" people helping me through the rough spots.

Lisa Grace said...

I, too, put math on the same list as surgery without anesthesia, the stomach flu and spending time at an insurance convention. To prepare for my ACTs, we had a math tutorial. They could have been speaking Russian and I would have gotten more out of it. However, I did survive and you will too. After all, you are DVD!

Steve at Random said...

I have more faith in you than I have in my self when it comes to math. Unfortunately, you inherited your father's gift of gab and lack of math skills. Interestingly, however, your two grandfathers are good in math. Grandpa Van Dyke used to do geometry in his head when he was figuring the volume of oil in tank batteries in the eastern Montana oil fields. Somehow the math gene not only skipped one generation, but two. Hopefully, your kids will do better in math...however, they may not know how to speak in front of crowds and cameras.

Beagle said...

DVD- I have the same thoughts as you regarding this semester. My first class this semester Anatomy and Physiology, started with the professor rather smuggly remarking that his pass rate was 40%. Needless to say I had thoughts of dropping the class, but remembered all the previous students that somehow managed to pass it. So good luck- I feel your pain and misery.

Steve at Random said...

Is it getting any better? Or will we need to wait for June before breathing a sigh of relief. As for brother Scott, U of Mary keeps cancelling classes on him. He is not impressed.

DVD said...

I wish they cancelled my classes. I haven't have one this semister. So far I am praying for a foot of snow to fall... so far no luck.

Ar Vee said...

I feel the same way,a snow day couldn't hurt.When I was in college I remember the students lining up to make calls to the DEAN on a snowy night .They all had some story about travel difficulty.By the time they finished with him he had no choice but to cancel school for a day.He probably thought if the students are that desperate maybe a day off is in good order.That "streak" dinner is also from my era.Only for the quick and the brave.Be sure the weather is suitable.Best of luck to you on all "fronts"!!

Steve at Random said...

Hey, now it's the longest two weeks of my life...you loyal followers are waiting for a new blog. Tell us about eating at the college cafeteria or working as an RA on a Saturday night or doing the play by play at a college basketball game. We're not particular but we do like fresh meat every so often.