Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WOW, That's disappointing.

It seems to be a Christmas break tradition that my good buddy Nate Kroh and I go skiing at the local ski resort, Huff Hills, south of Mandan. Hills, really?? That should be my first red flag, but nevertheless Nate and I seem to enjoy one solid day of hitting the slopes.

We made plans to go when most of the kids were in school so it wouldn't be that busy. Also with all of the snow the Man/Bis area has received in December it would be a perfect thing to do before we both head back to school at the end of the week.

Today we met up at 9:30 am and we got all of our snow gear on and we piled in my car, plus I brought along a jug of water so I didn't need to spend more money than I absolutely needed.

9:40 am: I filled up my dodge neon up with gas and Nate bought breakfast (corn dog and .25 Peach tea.

9:50 am: Nate Kroh and I stop buy Butcher Block and purchase sandwiches for lunch for 2.75 a piece.

10:00 am: We head out on the road for a quick 20 minute safari toward huff hills.

10:23 am: Our car pulls in to the parking lot and we are the only car there. So we get out of the car and make our way to the ski house. All of the doors are open, but there is no one there. We decide to wait around for about 10 minutes before I found their phone number. I call it and the phone that was ringing was 3 feet away and no body was around to answer. There were Huff Hills shirts, sweatshirts everywhere and if I wasn't a church going man I would have snagged one. We went down stairs to where they rent ski's, snowboards, and boots, again NOBODY there. We could have taken anything and everything.

10:45 am: Nate and I reluctantly got back in our car and drove the long 2o miles back to Mandan.

There was nobody out there, they were making snow( I guess having record snow in December is not enough for them) and there was no reason they should have been closed on this beautiful Wednesday. Needless to say we were mad,sad and disappointed about our ski trip.

Nate and I plan on going sledding instead this afternoon. We were all pumped for snow activities and snow activities we shall participate in.

Take that HUFF HILLS!!!!!

3 comments:

Steve at Random said...

There's nothing like blogging to blow off a little steam. And if you haven't caught it yet, catch my latest rant on Beagle's blog. Nice job, DVD, three posts so far in 2009. Can we expect a fourth before the end of the year?

randymeiss said...

I can't believe that. Are you sure you went to the right place DVD? You would think after all these years of struggling with almost non-existant snowfall, they would be bursting at the slopes with customers. I could write a blog about my last experience there where I busted my ski's hot-dogging off a hand-built snow jump. I still haven't gotten them repaired. I'm shocked not only at the lack of employees but also at the lack of people. Too bad they at least didn't have the lifts operating unattended but that probably would have violated someone's safety requirements. Guess you'll have to go up to Bottineau next time.

Lisa Grace said...

Sorry to hear your ski trip ended prematurely. Great job persevering with the snow activities!